Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anybody tried that brewcraft no rinse sanitizer? I can't get starsan anywhere so im looking for a good alternative. Preferably no rinse like starsan. It just looks like it saves alot of time and hassle.

Thanks

Views: 4720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is said to be, seems a lot of people rinse it though because of the smell. I recall being told that NZers are iodine defficient and one main cause was when the dairy industry went away from idophor base sanitisers to acid based sanitisers.

iodophor is great value for money and completely safe... can't be used to make bombs.  I've used it for 4 years and wouldn't switch to a homebrew-specific product.

check this article out - it was what converted me to having a crack with it (possibly the best homebrew move i've ever made):

http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/iodophor.htm

I on the other hand wouldnt go anywhere near that shit again.

Ask a different brewer and get a different answer. Caustic, rinse, nappysan, rinse, all the way.

Don't really see a sanitising step in there? Unless what you are saying is the brewcraft stuff (explained below to be the same thing as nappysan/oxy"insert cleaver marketing name here") works as a sanitiser. Is that what you are saying?
caustic i would imagine? whats the ph of caustic? i can't imagine much surviving it anyway!
I imagine the caustic is having a sanitising effect to, yes. Although there are theories about co2 diminishing its effectivness and I use co2 to move it around.

Nappysan plus the last rinse with boiling water seems to sanitise stainless vessels perfectly.I run boiling water fromthe HLT into them after I have finished the sparge.

caustic is my best freind.

When i used Idophor it tainted things and stained anything plastic in contact. I wasnt a fan. I still shudder at the memory.

When you say caustic do you mean sodium hydroxide (NaOH)? If so, then would you be willing to share what product you are using? I've been interested in it, but the safety issues make me nervous to use it.
Yep, Clark Caustic Soda from Moore Wilsons, Sodium Hydroxide. Don't get it on your skin!
Thanks! What concentration do you mix it at?
one cap to 3 litres water.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service