Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wyeast 1768 (youngs esb) stopped short I reckon its the pitch rate with these uk ale yeasts, I think you need a huge starter...   I racked to us-05 cake at 1.020   and it came out great, ale flavor but smashed low as I dropped temp to 16C as I racked.    I racked rather then added to collect clean 1768 for next attempt.   you need a huge amount of active yeast once there is decent alcohol in the beer to move it hence the cake rack.

Yeh good point, I def underpitched my stout I think - only used one 10g pack

1 pack is def too little for 1.067 OG,  I dont trust 1st gen dry yeast for such a big grain bill investment anymore

The Mr malty yeast calculator has a dry yeast calculator. Tells your how many 5 or 11g packs to add. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html. It does annoy me a little that the mangrove jacks packs are only 10g when the competition is 11g, it's just a minor annoyance though.

Mash temp 68. I was expecting 1018-1020. I'd love another point or two out of it. The packs suggest it's attenuation is high. So I'm surprised it stopped short. Pitch 2 packs as well. Not throwing yeast at it. Last time I did that I ended up infecting the beer and dumping. Not worth it for a few points.

The Mangrove Jacks website says not to harvest the dry yeast slurry for re-use is this true? Will the be adverse effects if I use a second gen dry yeast for my next beer?

I do this with us-05 and have no issues....   I would be careful if the beer was ultra high gravity like 1.080+ OG..  but in general the slurry in the bottom is healthy active yeast ie the best type,   I tend to repitch about 250-300ml of us05 stirred slurry for a 1.055 beer and have so far never had any issues.    When you do a starter you repitch the entire yeast colony....   I don't see how MJ's drying process has limited yeast to 1st gen use.

Andrew answered a similar question earlier in the thread

In terms of re-pitching the yeast. The reason it says not suitable for re-pitching is the changes in the flavour profile when you do so (over our 4 years of testing it was found the profiles change over generations of the yeast). It is not to say that you can not re-pitch, just that if you wanted a consistant yeast character then use a new one each time.

All yeasts will change over generations, so I guess they weren't happy with the changes in theirs?

I suggest everyone buys a copy of yeast http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements...

every yeast can mutate....    and I also suggest people try repitching...  and see if they can detect changes...  perhaps they are favourable..

if yeast mutates that much after millions of mutations they would be useless....

Hiya. I've repitched M44 a couple of times using exactly the same wort recipe and it does change over a few generations, much more so than WY1056 and US-05. I suspect the M44 is a blended yeast with a desirable ratio of two (or more) yeast strains. Subsequent generations will produce a more dominant strain and therefore a less desirable ratio.

Yes jt, all yeast will change as it is repitched, but blended yeast brands are much more susceptible to adverse change than 'pure' single strain varieties.

As an aside, I'm doing another side-by-side of first generation M44 vs US-05 and recording the results on the Hutt Brewer Facebook page.

Mangrove Jack’s US West Coast Ale Yeast M44 is very similar to Wyeast 1764 Pacman Yeast from Rogue.

Was from rebelbrewer's site, not sure how seriously to take but RB are pretty good at running experiments  etc.

Karl   what makes you think the M44 is a blend?    wyeast and white labs always tell you if the yeast they are selling you is a blend,  I suspect MJ would as well?

In my experience M44 changes with repitches to the point where its not that pleasant after Gen II.  From 3 onwards it gets a tart flavour to my palate.  I don't get this same effect with S05/BRY 97 or 1272/1056.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service