Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely, Whitelabs and Fementis have their yeasts discussed at length.

Hello Andrew, just following up on the email I sent last Wednesday just in case it got lost in transit? any update?

PS, there has been some discussions over on the homebrewtalk forums as well. Looks like they are all over the world now.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anyone-haerd-these-new-yeasts-mang...

I grabbed the british and belgian ones.

I'm going to do a strong ale/old ale thing. I'm going to do a couple of days of fermentation with the yeast, then pitch WLP644 Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois. Leave that for a few months, and see what I get. Might change the brett trois to brettanomyces claussenii which i also have some of. We shall see. 

I am skeptical of the belgian one. I am quite picky with belgian strains. It would be good to have a good dry belgian yeast. Though, from what i have heard, it sounds like its a saison strain with very high attenuation. While i do love saison, if this is the case it does make it somewhat limited in its applicability. I will probably try my belgian ipa recipe with it. I use may saison recipe, then hop it like an ipa, but using only noble hops. A lot of styrian goldings etc. 

Just going to dredge this thread back up,

I did one brew with the west coast yeast, it finished way to dry for my liking,

then I repitched onto some washed slurry from the first brew with a re-brew of the first beer and all I can say is that if you want to make Export Dry then this is the yeast for you, it finished even drier, think drinking sand

Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a really dry finish to your beer,

yeah .... I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated M44 into a 1.082 ish APA ... seriously its the stickiest yeast action i have ever seen. Almost 2 weeks gone and there is still a layer about 3cm thick of pretty much pure yeast. At one stage it was 10cm deep of brown yeastie goodness.

Not fluffy mind ... just brown and sticky ... like a stick (that is still the best joke in the world)

Last measurement had it down to 1.013 ... from 1.082 ... I was hoping for it to finish out around the 1.018 mark.

Will check again one the yeast finally drops out. This take 'top cropping' yeast to a whole new level.

yeah stick jokes are good,

I have been chewing through a couple tonight and it really wrecked what was a good beer, now I have about 20 litres to chew through, its a damn shame that whole a brewer drinks his mistakes line as this one will take an effort

I tried a friends oat meal stout brewed with the Newcastle dark ale m03 yeast,  it was so good I am brewing this weekend with this yeast.    Didn't finish that low but I think the sweetness and fruit MADE the beer.

Hoping I can get the same result, its an 8kg grain monster.

I have heard some good things about the Newcastle but from my experience with the two I have tried I'm a bit wary let us know how it goes as it would be good to have a dried yeast backup just in case

Did a 16kg grain bill Imperial Coffee Chocolate Porter a couple of months ago using the Newcastle Dark yeast. It took off like a train overflowed everywhere then stopped after 10 days at 1022. Refused to ho any lower even after introducing two sachets of the West Coast yeast. Possibly needed the extra body to support the 7.5%. Had been hoping for FG 1018-20. Tastes a bit gluggy but its not bad.

I just used Newcastle Dark for the first time and had my first over flow as well (made a right mess of the fridge!). Mine too stuck at around 1021 and some extra US05 and a good shake made not a jot of difference. It doesn't taste too sweet so I've kegged it up and I'll try it in a few weeks.

What was your og? Trying to get a feel for the attenuation

If it helps I did a Porter where I used Newcastle Dark Yeast. The OG was 1.052 and FG was 1.018 in the end. It came out right where I wanted it to be.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service