Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Working on getting the more complete list with all the flocculation, attenuation and flavour details etc for each strains onto our website. Will get back to you when I have a link for you to look at.

Cheers,

Andrew

Here is the info on all the Mangrove Jack's yeasts http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/8620/files/MJ_Craft_Series__A... 

These yeasts arrived today and are on the shelf in the yeast fridge at Brewers Coop. They are well worth a go!

Hi Bryan.

I'd be wary of advertising yeast by stealth on a forum that is at least partially funded by the sale of yeast to its members.

Cheers

Hey Karl....its not advertising....if you look back on the thread you will see if been commenting on these yeasts and have been evaluating them against other yeasts that are already on the market. But I do appreciate your comments!

I had to chuckle when I read that due to the drying process these yeasts cant be repitched or slanted etc, yeah right.

I re-pitched a top-crop of the west coast yeast onto an Imperial stout, it took off like a rocket and fermented fully without any problems at all. That line seems like a bit of a porkie!

Hi guys

In terms of re-pitching the yeast. The reason it says not suitable for re-pitching is the changes in the flavour profile when you do so (over our 4 years of testing it was found the profiles change over generations of the yeast). It is not to say that you can not re-pitch, just that if you wanted a consistant yeast character then use a new one each time.

Happy Brewing!

PS brewed a Barley Wine with the MJ British Ale Yeast today. 1.086 (wanted higher but what are you gonna do). Looking forward to trying it in a month and in 6 months when it has matured properly..

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Hey cheers for the input on this by the way, a couple of  questions if you don't mind,

did it strip flavour on the second generation or was it subsequent generations after that,

also was it top cropped or yeast cake that you guys tested, if it was cake did you wash the yeast or pitch onto the slurry?

Cheers

Guys for this you will have to email me. As this Forum is sponsored by Wyeast and don't want to overly promote a competitors product on this forum. Hope you understand. Email andrew.c@mangrovejacks.com

Surely not!  Appreciate you have to not be seen to be touting MJ products here Andrew - but does this mean we can't have open discussion of the MJ yeasts (which might be good or bad depending on people's experience!?). 

There's been plenty of talk on this forum before about other non Wyeast products and I haven't seen anyone jump in to restrict the discussion.  Likewise Cryers sponsor the site and I don't see discussions about other malts being taken offline.

Agree with Tilt on this one. The more discussed the better!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service