Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts

Anyone know anything about these yeasts? There's not a lot online about them yet, no real info on where they're sourced etc.

I managed to get hold of a packet of their US West Coast yeast and have made a pale ale with it (still in primary). My instincts tell me this would be the same strain as US-05/1056, but their website lists attenuation as high (definitely not US05!)

In any event, the whole range looks very promising.

Views: 17123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi.

Here's a list of the full range of yeasts from Mangrove Jacks:

Bavarian Wheat M20 - Attenuation: Medium - Flocculation: Low - 18-30'C
Belgian Ale M27 - Attenuation: Very High - Flocculation: Medium - 26-32'C
Bohemia Lager M84 - Attenuation: High - Flocculation: High - 10-15'C
British Ale M07- Attenuation: High - Flocculation: Very High - 16-22'C
Burton Union M79 - Attenuation: High - Flocculation: High - 18-23'C
Newcastle Dark M03 -Attenuation: Medium - Flocculation: Medium - 18-22'C

US West Coast M44 - Attenuation: High - Flocculation: High - 18-23'C
Workhorse Beer M10 - Attenuation: High - Flocculation: Medium - 15-32'C !!!
Cider M02

I suspect, based on the attenuation, that these are based on White Labs rather than Wyeast. (WLP001 is far more attenuative than 1056 for instance)

Sorry, I made a typo. I meant flocculation, not attenuation (56 is not a great floccer).

It's an impressive range of yeasts non the less.

Hi guys I am "the beer man" from Mangrove Jack's. The yeasts have been commissioned by us, a 100% NZ company and where developed in the UK. We can't say what strains they are based from, but I have been lucky enough to have had a play with them over the last 5-6 months and have been really happy with the results. They have been developed over the last 4 years and will be on sale to NZ home brewers in the next month. 

Happy brewing guys,

Cheers,

Andrew

The Beer Man

Mangrove Jack's

Andrew, chance on an overview of each of the yeasts above and some feedback of your own experiences with the ie. waht you brewed ect.

Thanks Andrew. Great to have a Kiwi player in the market!

Once available will there be an equivalency list?

What sort of brews is the Workhorse Packet suitable for?

hi,  I brewed a pilsner from you collection a while back and was very impressed,  brewed again, and not so much  I am wondering if the pilsner dme was correctly labelled as my 2nd pilsner is very malty?

also the yeast packet had the words    Larger yeast    printed on it?

got to admit i strayed above 15 degrees

2nd time round

but it doesnt taste fruity tastes malty?

Is this an extract kit Mangrove Jack's pilsner? at the moment all kit yeasts are ale yeasts (as are all kits). Did the yeast packet in the kit say "Larger yeast"?

Also any questions about the Mangrove Jacks's yeasts could you direct to the Mangrove Jack's facebook page or Webite (this has an email contact which I will answer). As I love this forum but don't want to appear to be selling yeasts as Wyeast is a sponsor of this site. Also I got the opportunity help name a lot of these yeasts, quite a thrill for any beer geek :)

Cheers,

Andrew

yes this was the high end pouch kit , said Larger yeast on it, this surprised me.  

I will email you direct,    i was super impressed with the first one though, best kit beer i have ever made

Hi Peter 

I think this must have been both a misprint and possibly the wrong yeast, if you still have the packet and the batch number then this may help us resolve the issue for you.

If you could email me on info@mangrovejacks.com that would be great.

Cheers,

Andrew

If i was a betting man Id put money on the West Coast American Ale being the Lalvin BRY-97 called "West Coast American Ale" We have had it in stock at Brewers Coop for about 2 months now and the results from our brews and from customers has been very impressive. Its neutral in character similar to saf-05 but attenuates much better.

Better attenuation? what about flocculation on the BRY-97

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service