Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi all,

I spied a bottle of 'Hopsmacker' in my local this afternoon, I thought that can't be right. Hopsmacker was by far and away the best easy drinking beer ever, from Limburg Brewery in Hastings.  I got it home and got straight in, then read the label, a reinvention of the classic.  From my memory (and it has been indelibly etched) this did not taste like the original, it was much worse.  Anyone else tried it and their comments? Limburg were famous for their witbier, I wonder if this is going to be in their offering?

Richee

Views: 1077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kingtide is really nice, one of my favourites.

Cheers Scott

Hi Peter,

The Hopsmacker you've been drinking on special price is actually outside best before and the retailers should be making this clear at shelf.  You're spot on with your comments re; the Cascade. With time, the Riwaka has dropped off almost completely and the beer is all Cascade in aroma, though some Riwaka in flavour. It's gone from the tropical fruit of Riwaka to pine/Rosewater.

Driftwood is a new Riwaka dominant pale ale. The only common element with Hopsmacker is Riwaka hops, it has all Canterbury malts from Gladfield while Hopsmacker had English and German malts, and Driftwood has a little Cascade, some Amarillo and Citra too.  I'm pretty happy with it and while the ingredient list is different, I reckon it's closer to the original spirit of Hopsmacker.

Hopsmacker may resurface further down the track as a big punchy NZIPA/APA.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers, Craig

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service