Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

My bottles have a label over the lid (which might have come off) that says Robot Dog Brewing Co, Black Francis and also a white sticky label affixed at an odd angle that says Ally McG 16/2

Recipe as follows

3.5kg Muntons Light Malt Extract
.5kg Munich 10L
.2kg Caramel
.13kg Pale Choc
.1kg Choc
.07kg Black Patent
50g NZ Cascade 7.2% @ 90
30g NZ Styrian Goldings 5.5% @30
25g NZ Cascade @10
15g NZ Cascade @0
20g NZ Styrian Goldings @0
OG -1.056, FG 1.018 IBU 52.8

Keen for any feedback on this, debut porter and according to my records the 6th ever beer I've brewed.

Views: 149

Replies to This Discussion

Thomas Fawcett?????

Any chance of getting any of that gear into Liberty Brewing??? I am a massive fan of this stuff.

(Sorry about the Jack, Ally)
Looks like I've got caramalt then - it does look pale enough to be a base malt and i wondered that at the time, but it was my first grain order. Ah well at least i know what it is now
First of the two bottles left in the case and they're both porters. An interesting little taste off.

Pours a hazy dark brown/red almost black colour with a short lasting tan head.
Light aroma of bread crust & toffe, not much else. Expected more aroma based on the appearrance.
Initial taste of marmite followed by chocolate & burnt malt. Bitterness is prominent and lingers long into the aftertaste. Again bitterness is a little high for my gentle palette. Bitterness seems smoother than some of the other bitter examples in the case. Could it be the 90 min bittering hops?

Second glass was a write-off :( Yeast had been lifting & stirring up the remaining beer, lumps & clumps all through it.
I should have decanted the whole bottle from the outset, my bad.

Personally I would lower the bitterness or increase the crystal sweetness to make it even more drinkable.

A very nice beer, well done.

Cheers Ally
Cheers for the feedback Mr C. I'm thinking about brewing this again based on all the feedback so will get some real crystal and think about adding another malt in there to increase the mid palate complexity and perhaps dry hop for a bit more aroma. Should be an interesting experiment to see how the taste changes
Pours dark with a red hue and an awesome head. Aroma of rich malt and raisins with hints of other dark fruits. Flavour is robust and dry but so rich and malty at the same time with hints of dark fruit and toffee. Awesome mouthfeel and a nice lingering bitterness! Mate, this was truely an awesome beer, cheers :o)
Fantastic! I'll have to give it a go! :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service