Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

SOBA, New Zealand’s consumer beer advocacy group, is pleased to announce the fourth annual SOBA National Homebrewing Competition.

Full details are yet to be confirmed, but keen homebrewers can expect entries to be accepted from the first of October, closing on the 22nd, with judging to take place on the weekend of the 30th of October.

As in previous years, the best of show beer will be brewed commercially by Steve Plowman at Hallertau Brewbar – a glittering prize indeed, in a competition where bragging rights are often the key motivation for entry.

Other prizes are yet to be confirmed, but homebrewers often enter for the valuable experience of having their beers critiqued by world class judges, with the feedback they receive enabling them to hone their brewing skills further.

SOBA have secured the services of some serious judging talent. Graeme Mahy (head brewer of 666 Brewing, and brewing consultant) has judged at the World Beer Cup – the ultimate international beer competition. “Even though people know about me being a commercial brewer, they often can’t believe that the fantastic beer they are drinking is made at home”, says Mahy. “A national hombrewing competition is important for a number of reasons - certainly the social aspects that go with a competition but also comparing brewing notes and techniques is also important.  Of course there's also the judging of your beers against others to see how they compare, but most importantly the possibility of 'bragging rights' for the next 12 months!”

SOBA was formed in 2006 in order to increase awareness of and appreciation for flavourful crafted beers. While not a homebrewing focused organisation, SOBA has many homebrewing members and
has always supported this great hobby.

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is an article that appeared in my local paper

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/local/news/other-ales-pale-beside-t...
Is that article about you Richee?
yep sure is.
yea, it's one of the better 'homebrew' articles I've seen - oh, and well done again chap
Cheers JT
what are you congratulating him for jt...? has he got any of this champion beer to share with us...? no he hasn't.

he therefore deserves much scorn and derision... ;)
No !
Then he needs to brew it again
hahaha, well said Fairlane ;o)

Oh, and congrats Richee!!
Nice article. Congrats on the Prize and medals.
Nice Rich, and such a good photo

After taking on board the comments from the judges and tweaking my recipes & process accordingly I have managed to improve my beers once again.  Without the NHC and the quality comments to point me in the right direction it would have taken me a lot, lot longer to sort out some of the issues.  

Cheers and thanks again to everyone involved.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service