Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anybody know if there is someone who makes conical fermentors on the homebrewer scale in nz? or does anyone have expereince with ordering these from overseas? what sort of prices etc

Views: 21791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep - option 2 and with the ridge as Smiffy mentioned.

There doesnt seem to be much interest in the flange but esentially 2 & 3 are the same just cut the flange off and you have the paralell section (which could also have the hose retaining ridge incorporated) easy way to have two options in one moulding? Just a thought.

I suppose you need some potential interest in the flange option first to make it worth while.

I'd be keen on the tri-clover idea. With option 2 as a second choice.

Ditto. Clamps are great.

The clamps will chomp up the plastic so its no good unfortunately so its option 2 with the smooth pipe finish.  All agreed with the manufacturers and hopefully I'll have a few prototypes next week.  We might have a glycol cooling jacket with it too :p

Slower process that I thought though, good experience all the same.

Really looking forward to using them!

I've been looking around on the www, and I can't find a suitable sized in-line tap.

Like this 12mm one but bigger:

Can you find one in Auckland which will match the outside diameter of the outlet?

I got mine from Smart Marine, its about 1 1/2" they have a good selection.  Used for water pipes on boats

Also try Bunnigs, a plumbing shop like Zip Plumbing Supplies or Trade Me.

Just a quick update, plastic conical design is complete just waiting on the final paper work and signing off then the tooling will get done and I should have photos of the prototype.  It is a seriously robust piece of kit, smooth as a babies bottom and heavy walled.  They should last a life time, not good for marketting I'm told but I'm not making these so I can retire so its all good.

1 1/4' OD port at the bottom with 6-8" clear tube for the end, will be about 3/4" ID minimum so should be little chance of blocking.  Flat face on the front for secondary port of you want it (Flat so you can use a simple bulkhead fitting).  Personally I am going to unload it from the bottom or the top.  Flange is out sorry.

Brass threaded inserts at quarter locations around the unit for fixings (handles, legs, clamps what ever you want) you can pretty much do anything you want with these in place.  We have designed a perfect heavy duty handle so easy to pick up.  Lid that will take some pressure and has lugs for locking down and two available ports upto 10mm.  Still looking at the gasket is pretty expensive and might be overkill for brewers, large diameteter gaskets get up there apparently.  I might design soem clips custom made for it when I get time to make it easier for people that don't can't tinker. 

I have also designed a glycol cooling jacket for them which should be quite inexpensive, means you dont need ot fit them into the fridge.  I can run upto six in my fridge but it would be hard on my back so easier if they fit on one of the work benches.  This is still at the design stage but should work with hot or cold water.  We are also looking at another option and running the cooling jacket in the moulding itself, again we'll prototype it and see how it runs/costs. 

The jackets mean you can run multiple fermentors with ease at set temperatures which will be great if they work, need to get them made and tested, the principle os sound but nothing beats experience.

I am going to hold off on the tooling for the base until I have covered some of the debt (as controlled by Mrs C) or I have some pre orders for it once you guys have seen the quality of the unit.  Same with the 70 litre.  I was hoping the 70 litre would be a simple extension of the cyclinder but that would mean a seam around it which I dont want.  I'm a bit gutted as this is the one I want to use but I have learned patience on this little journey, some ptience anyway :p  Again if I get enough orders once the initial unit is out I'll make it sooner.

The market size is still a little bit of a mystery so I'm not prepared to go into too much debt to test it.

I will be taking pre-orders on the stainless shortly, I'll probably run out the first 10 at close to cost to get some feedback and will try to get a prototype made so I have some photos.  Hard to get pre-orders until people have seen it.  The stainless one, although small is better quality than anythign else I have seen on the market and a quarter of the price.  Just a basic unit so you will need to play with it to use it, could be as simple as a pizza pan and two bungee cords.  At this stage I dont have time to make up all the fittings to make this easily and my engineers are too busy to get onboard until I have enough numbers of units.  There are some really good fabricators on this forum though and I'm sure they will be able to knock them into shape for very little $$$.

Gas tools and kegging stuff will be next, big job at work starts next week so I will be stretched very thin for about 9 weeks...  Joy :)

I'll get prototypes photos up as soon as they are made, same with the lid, gaskets and handles, maybe a quick review from some of the forum members if your in Auckland?  Over a beer of course!

Liam

Sounds very cool Liam. Wish I was up in Auckland to have a lookc at your designs.

I look forward to the pics and any Ak reviewers opinions you manage to rope in.

Hey Liam, the glycol cooling jacket. Would that have temperature control automatically heating/cooling the glycol in the jacket? If so I might be interested in a bit more detail on what you are thinking... I need to temperature control a 60L SS conical I have sitting in the shed.

Sounds very cool so far!

Liam, I too am interested in seeing pics and certainly interested / in the market for one subject to price.

Rgds

Andrew

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service