Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My advice.

this yeast loves dark malts.

if you havent tried it, black sheep riggwelter is top notch.

done thats a goodie and have the EKG

like this bill as have most of it, might go wheat yet tho

rather then oats

77% Pale, MO
9% Malted Oats
6% Crystal 80L
5% Pale Chocolate
3% Crystal 150L

49g East Kent Goldings 5.4%AA at 60m
24.5g East Kent Goldings at flame out

IMO The Torrified Wheat is pretty essential to the malt bill I think.

I actually brewed it for my wedding, and had it on a beer engine.

what carb level do you use if its going through a beer engine?

I didn't carb it.

I cold crashed it, and got some minor CO2 into it that way. as there's generally residual CO2 in the vessel prior to crashing.

i then ran through the beer engine, and it was nice and fluffy.

in retrospect, i could've carbed it, to maybe 1 volume, but i dont think it would've added much.

Peter,

Just finished my Porter up oin this yeast, and hada thought of chucking it at a Milk Stout?

Something Like lefthand Milk Stout.

But as its a lower attenuating yeast, I'd need to make adjustments.

Any recommended adjustments you think?

I am not really into milk stouts....    maybe I have just not had a really good one, cant

remember a milk stout pouring at the vulture for ages.

My TTL is done, time to bottle it, and get the repitch beers ready, thinking the black sheep you suggested, I have enough UK Goldings,   BC is all out of EKG.

I suspect the WY may make a good smokey malt dark beer as well.

Yeah. the yeast tends to hide pretty much any hop flavour, so othergoldings would be fine.

some smoky malt might go well, but I think You'd only want a touch of it, just to get some of the nice smoky smoothness, don't want to be hiding those yeasty esters.

It was a great yeast to use, the starter got things going in hours, it chugged relentlessly and didn't try to run away temp wise, in fact it needed help staying above 18C at the end of the ferment,  the aroma off the airlock was amazing.    Need to find some torrified wheat now.

This beer could be my ruin...    its is the most quaffable beer I have ever brewed.  I dropped the

wheat went 100% GP and did a 2L to 500ml toffee reduction.... damn near burned it.

I am going to rebrew it with Gladdies pale ale to compare, if there is any left.

Pour a bottle at 12C and let it warm up as it also loses carb,  this beer morphs

and tastes completely different.    I could wax on about it but you probably already know

what I mean.....

So do you add the reduction back into the kettle or cool and add to the fermenter ?

I put it back into the kettle, i scooped out so hot wort, stirred in the toffee.....  then poured it back into the boil with about 5 mins to go.   No idea if this makes the difference but wow this is a great beer.   

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service