Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94591

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the vulture is going to have this on tap next week!

There is a recipe for Jaipur in Mitch Steele's book "IPA: Brewing ...". In writing the book Mitch talked to Kelly Ryan,Stefano Cossi, Alex Buchanon and James Harrison, so I think its safe to assume that the recipe is Thornbridge's recipe. There are several similarities with your recipe but notably it uses 96.7% Marris Otter, Chinook is the bittering hop, there's a 30 minute hop stand  and most importantly there is NO dry hopping.

The page (p270) is visible in the Amazon Preview.

Thanks for that link,  I think they play around with the recipe a bit as per a different discussion here

Thornbridge bottles it
by Roger Protz,10/09

Thornbridge, the innovative craft brewery in the Derbyshire Peak District, has launched bottle-conditioned versions of three of its beers and is hopeful that one leading supermarket group may stock them. The beers are two interpretations of India Pale Ale: Jaipur IPA (5.9%) and Halcyon (7.7%) plus the Imperial Russian Stout Saint Petersburg (7.7%).
Kelly Ryan, one of Thornbridge's young brewers, is full of enthusiasm for the new Halcyon IPA. "Halcyon Green Hop Vintage 2009 was brewed using Maris Otter pale ale malt. We used Warrior and Hallertau Magnum hops for bittering, then Hallertau Brewers Gold, Spalter Select and Perle for aroma. This is our standard Halcyon recipe with around 60-65 units of bitterness [IBUs]. http://www.beer-pages.com/images/thornbridge-3.jpg" width="241" height="269" alt="" class="CToWUd" />
"We took a large amount of freshly-picked Herefordshire Target hops that we had couriered overnight to the brewery and placed them in conditioning tanks with the Halcyon for a month."
Kelly says this "hop juice" had a massive aroma - "oozing pineapple character and with a hint of pine sap and that characteristic orange marmalade that Target is known for. Because of the intensity of flavour, we were really keen on balancing the malt character with some big, bold hoppiness. We did a series of blind trials with varying proportions of the 'hop juice' with our standard Halcyon until we found a blend we were all happy with. This was then prepared for bottling and bottle re-fermented."
Jaipur aims for bitterness of 50 IBUs and is brewed with Maris Otter pale ale malt and Vienna malt, with Ahtanum. Centennial, Chinook, and Warrior hops. The Saint Petersburg is brewed with Maris Otter pale ale malt, torrefied wheat, dark crystal and chocolate malts, peated malt, roast barley and dark Muscovado sugar. The bittering hops are Galena and Perle and the aroma hops are Hallertau Magnum, Sorachi Ace and Vanguard. Bitterness is around 65 IBUs.
Kelly Ryan (On left of picture with Thornbridge owner Jim Harrison) was keen to set out some of the technical aspects of the beers. "You'll probably notice varying degrees of sediment in the bottles," he says. "Halcyon in particular has quite a bit, and we think this is a combination of polyphenols from the hops, the yeast we re-fermented with and potentially some yeast cells broken down during the centrifuge process.
"The process is evolving every time we bottle. Our latest Jaipur is slightly different than the Saint Petersburg and Halcyon, which is why there is less yeast present in Jaipur. We tried capping the fermentation early to allow some of the naturally-produced CO2 to become soluble in the beer. We then polish centrifuged it - less than 10,000 yeast cells per millilitre - and re-seeded it with a small amount of viable yeast to allow the fermentation to finish in the bottle at an acceptable level. http://www.beer-pages.com/images/kelly.jpg" width="201" height="279" alt="" class="CToWUd" />
"For our next bottling, we'll probably try a slightly different approach, but every time we bottle we learn something new and the centrifuge is a fantastic tool for removing yeast, yet allowing us to retain flavour and aroma. It's great to not filter or pasteurise our beer yet still have a stable beer in bottle."

Commercial brewing would be very tedious if you didn't get to fiddle with the recipes :)

A Dunkelweizen anyone.....

https://gardenofedenbrewing.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/trigo-oscuro/

'Trigo Oscuro'

23L

3.1 kg Wheat Malt

1.4 kg Munich Malt

900 g Pilsner Malt

330 g Dark Crystal Malt/ 30 g Shepherds Delight Malt NB: This is a sub for Special B

60 g Light Chocolate Malt NB: This is a Sub for Carafa II

~28g of homegrown leaf hops @ 60′

Done with a double decoction mash, am fermenting at 20C with WB-06 (and it is going crazy). 

Heh. I am also brewing a dunkelweizen today, using similar ingredients minus the yeast. WB-06 gives a quite different flavour profile, IMO.

3.5kg Wheat Malt

2.5kg Vienna Malt

400g Special B Malt

150g Chocolate Wheat Malt

150g Oat Hulls (add 5 mins from end of mash)

40g Tettnanger @ 60

2x WLP300 - single stage fermentation at 20C for 2 1/2 weeks.

Gumballhead Wheat
6-D American Wheat or Rye Beer

Size: 40.0 L @ 20 °C
Efficiency: 71.86%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 169.56 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.040 - 1.055)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 7.02 (5.91 - 11.82)
Alcohol: 5.01% (4.0% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 33.0 (15.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
5 kg (51.5%) Pale Wheat Malt - added during mash
4 kg (41.2%) Malteurop Pale Ale - added during mash
.70 kg (7.2%) Carared® - added during mash
15 g (5.1%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 m
15 g (5.1%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
30 g (10.2%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
75 g (25.4%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
70 g (23.7%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 m
90 g (30.5%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
2 pk US-05 Ale Yeast

Funny thing with efficiency, first runnigs from kettle to fermenter 1.047 on refractometer but near the end it was like 1.053 first one may have been below 20 degrees as it was running through CFC and water is pretty cold today also first one had a fair bit of trub in it as my whirlpool arm moved and was faceing down so I got a slow chill no whirlpool and extra trub in fermenter

How do you know so much about so much?

I don't know much, I'm still trying to figure this shit out too.

If your wondering about the numbers in my recipe its straight out of beer tools pro. I think most guys on here use some kind of brew software, beer smith seems very popular and some use the web based brew toad. It defiantly makes it easier when formulating or tweaking or scaling recipes and helps you analise your brew.

The software worked out efficiency for me and its worth knowing. Efficency is a measure of how much of the potential sugar you extracted from your grains. You can see I got 71% after entering my gravity readings (either use a hydrometer or refractometer to measure these) which isn't great, I usually shoot for about 75%. The main thing about efficiency isn't trying to get super high, you want something reasonable but its more knowing what your gear and methods will produce and trying to be consistent about it, then you can adjust the amount of grain you use in a recipe to get the result your after.

They also have nice things like calculators that you can use to figure out things like the temperature to heat your strike water to ie. if I add v) volume of water at w) temperature to x) volume of grain at y) temperature it will end up z) temperature. Usually its w) you need to know there.

Much more appropriate for the season than my effort.

Stouts more often brewed in winter than any other beer? sorry taking it for granted that dark porter is a stout probably wrong??

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service