Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really should get back contributing....

Traditional Dunkel - 'Dunkel Down'

15 L            OG: 1.054         IBU: 24

2.5kg (96%) Munich Malt (Gladfields)

150gm (4%) Carafa II (Weyerman)

16gm Hallertau @ 60′

9gm Hallertau @ 20′

DECOCTION MASH

Mash in @50C (55C strike), rest for 15′.

Pull 3L of heavy mash, rest @65C for 15′, boil for 15′ and add back to light mash to bring to 62C, rest 15′.

Pull 2.5L of heavy mash, boil for 15′ and add back to light mash to bring to 68C, rest 60′.

Lauter, fly sparge with 77C, boil 60', chill.

Chilled to 16-17C, fermenting with S-04 (cheating)

Read more on my blog here

First attempt at brewing a smoked beer last night - Smoker's Delight Porter:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 kg Gladfield Smoked Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 4 36.4 %
2.30 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 5 33.5 %
0.81 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 6 11.7 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 7 7.3 %
0.44 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 8 6.4 %
0.27 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 9 3.9 %
0.05 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 10 0.7 %

Yeast is 1968, so I mashed a bit lower than normal for a porter at around 65. Amazing sweet smoky smell and taste from the malt, so fingers crossed!

OG 1.061

A Black IPA brewed at at T Bay Brew Night down here in Porirua. Around 19l post boil into the fermentor - BIAB

5.2kg Gladfields Ale Malt

170gm Gladfields Chocolate Malt

230gm Gladfields Dark Crystal

170gm Weyermanns Carafa Special III

Mashed for 60mins at 65'C

23gm US Perle 60min

28gm US Cascade 15min

25gm US Centennial and 10gm US Citra at 10mins plus Yeast Nutrient

28gm US Cascade 5mins

25gm US Centennial and 18gm US Citra at 0mins

Will Dry Hop around 5 days with US Cascade

OG was 1080 so diluted with 3 litres of water to get to 1070 before pitching some US05.

Cheers

Another beer, another blog post....

"Hobbit Hooch"

23L  OG:1.038  14 IBU

3.40kg Maris Otter

200g Toasted Rolled Oats

110g CaraRye

110g Dark Crystal

60g Roasted Barley

42g Czech Saaz @ 60′

Simple mash – 67C for 90min, sparge as you so desire….

Fermenting @ 18C with M07 British Ale yeast

Ordinary Bitter - Bottled, wanted something light and simple for winter sports watching....

Half across 1469 West Yorkshire and Half across 1968 London ESB

I may tweak the wheat down yet to 5-6% and just up the base malt.

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

41.82 l

AKL -> Burton On Trent, UK

Water

-

37.22 g

Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)

Water Agent

-

13.64 g

Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)

Water Agent

-

9.64 g

Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins)

Water Agent

-

7.73 g

Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins)

Water Agent

-

0.61 g

Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

Water Agent

-

5.00 kg

Gladfield Ale Malt (3.0 SRM)

Grain

71.9 %

0.75 kg

Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

Grain

10.8 %

0.60 kg

Gladfield Wheat Malt (2.1 SRM)

Grain

8.6 %

0.50 kg

Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (56.3 SRM)

Grain

7.2 %

0.10 kg

Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (659.9 SRM)

Grain

1.4 %

20.00 g

Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

9.8 IBUs

30.00 g

East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

5.9 IBUs

30.00 g

Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

6.4 IBUs

0.16 tsp

Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)

Fining

-

30.00 g

East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

3.5 IBUs

30.00 g

Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

3.8 IBUs

A Pils for those who ask "Have you got anything that isn't hoppy, yeah you know normal beer....."

I had to give him a Faux Pils with Citra and Amarillo which he drnk but probably still found a little floral and citrusy so here goes, this one will be brewed the turbo larger style in 4 weeks

Attachments:

Sorry - what is the turbo lager style?

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

LAGER METHOD

I’m a lover of all things lager- Marzen, Schwarzbier, Helles, and Pilsner are all some of favorite styles. As a homebrewer, I initially avoided making lager due to my inability to precisely control temperature (I maintain that good lagers require the ability to control ferm temps). Once I finally got my fermentation chamber setup and made a couple lagers using more traditional fermentation schedules, I found myself avoiding them due to how long they took to finish. I also began wondering how I might be able to hasten the process. I had learned that with precise control of my temperature, I could turn most ales around in 2 weeks, something I caught some flack for when it became my norm. Why couldn’t I cut the typical lager fermentation down by similarly messing with temperature? I made a couple batches that came out surprisingly well, played with the method for a few months, and was gradually convincing myself the days of 2 month lagers were behind me. After numerous successful batches, I happen to catch the episode of The Session on The Brewing Network where Tasty mentioned how he takes lager grain to glass in 2 weeks using precise control of fermentation temperature. This was validating, particularly since I was aiming for a much less anxiety provoking 3-4 week turnaround, not the very quick 2 weeks Tasty discussed.

I don’t take credit for developing this method, rather I was inspired by smaller craft breweries making tasty lager beers who I assumed are forced to go grain to glass quickly just to maintain their business. I simply wondered, “if they can do it, why can’t we?

German brewers began making lager beers long before the advent of controllable refrigeration, fermenting and conditioning their beer in caves that maintained a fairly consistent 45°-55°F. They also brewed with the seasons, hence beers like Märzen, which was only brewed between September 29 and April 23 with consumption usually commencing in late Summer through October. The point I’m trying to make here is that the long-term fermentation and aging appears to be mostly a function of the inability to control environmental temperature.

A few things we’ve learned over the last couple centuries of brewing is that yeast generally works slower at cooler temperatures and faster at warmer temperatures, most esters and phenolics are produced during the growth phase of fermentation, which in my experience lasts about 4-5 days for lager strains, and beer lagers faster at colder temperatures. I know, there’s supposedly something else that magically happens to a beer over time besides just clarity, but let’s be real here, clarity is what most of us are waiting for as the indication that a beer is ready to drink. And if I’m being totally honest, I sort of enjoy the very minimal perceptible changes that occur in a beer over the 2-3 weeks I have it on tap.

| THE METHOD |

Step 1: Primary Fermentation
Chill wort to pitching temp of 48°-53°F (9°-12°C), pitch adequately sized starter (decanted), set regulator to initial fermentation temp between 50°-55°F (10°-13°C), and leave the beer to fermentuntil it is at least 50% attenuated. I’ve found the time this takes is dependent on 2 primary factors:

1. Original Gravity: a 1.080 Doppelbock is going to take longer to reach 50% attenuation than a 1.048 Helles.

2. Yeast Type: in my experience, rehydrated dry lager yeasts take 12-36 hours longer to show signs of active fermentation compared to liquid yeasts built up in starters or even slurry harvested from a prior batch.

I originally advised leaving the fermenting beer at primary temp for 5 days assuming folks were checking SG prior to making temp changes. This was a mistake on my part. While it is possible even high OG beers will reach 50% attenuation in this amount of time, I’ve heard from a couple folks who experience differently. As such, here are my new better-safe-than-sorry recommendations:

OG OF WORT YEAST TYPE APPROXIMATE PRIMARY TIME
≤ 1.060 OG Liquid 4-7 days
≤ 1.060 OG Dry 5-8 days
≥ 1.061 Liquid 6-10 days
≥ 1.061 Dry 7-14 days

Another factor worth considering is your preferred primary fermentation temperature, as yeast is going to work a bit faster at 54°F (12°C) compared to 48°F/ (9°C). The original 5 day recommendation will likely hold true for most folks, as it has for me, I just want to emphasize the importance of taking SG measurements prior to making temp changes.

Step 2: The Ramp Up
Once 50% attenuation is reached, remove the probe from the side of the fermentor so it measures ambient temp in the chamber and start bumping the regulator up 5°F every 12 hours until it reaches 65°-68°F (18°-20°C). Allow the beer to remain at this temp until fermentation is complete and the yeast have cleaned-up after themselves, which can take anywhere from 4 to 10 days.

Alternate Option
Keep the temp probe attached to the fermentor and forgo the incremental temperature increases but immediately setting your regulator to 65°-68°F (18°-20°C). While I still prefer the more gentle approach to temp increases, I’ve heard from many people have had great success using this slightly less time-consuming approach.

Step 3: The Ramp Down
When FG is stable and no diacetyl or acetaldehyde is detected in the beer, begin ramping the temp down in 5°-8°F increments every 12 hours or so until it reaches 30°-32°F (-1°-0°C). Allow the beer to remain at this temp for 3-5 days, during which it will begin to drop clear.

Alternate Option 1
Setting the regulator to 30°-32°F (-1°-0°C) without gradually stepping the temp down will shave 2-3 days off of the entire process. Many brewers have done this with positive results, myself included, though I still tend to prefer the original method if only to reduce the amount of airlock fluid that gets sucked into the beer as it crashes.

Alternate Option 2
If super bright beer is something you pine for, as I do, and you’re okay with putting animal products in your beer, as I am, consider adding gelatin once the temp of the beer has reached 50°F (10°C). In my experience, this has significantly decreased the amount of time required for the beer to clear to commercial levels, I usually end up kegging 24-48 hours after adding the gelatin.

Step 4: Packaging & Storage
Once the beer is clear, it’s ready to be packaged, the process of which is obviously different depending on whether one uses kegs or bottles. Yes, bottle conditioning is absolutely possible with this method.

For Those Who Keg…
Simply transfer the cold and clear beer to your keg, place it in your keezer on gas, and leave it for 3+ days before enjoying! Using my typical kegging/carbonation method in conjunction with gelatin, I’ve found the beer is usually ready for consumption after about 5 days of “lagering” inmy keezer, while others swear their beers peak after 2 weeks or so of cold storage. This is likely an issue of subjective preference mixed with a sprinkle of confirmation bias, but regardless, do what you works best for you!

For Those Who Bottle…
Use a trusted priming sugar calculator to determine the amount of your preferred fermentable to use; adding extra yeast is unnecessary, even if you fined with gelatin. Place the primed bottles in an environment that maintains a fairly consistent 68°-72°F (20°-23°C) and allow them to carbonate for 2-3 weeks. Once carbonated, I recommend placing multiple bottles in the fridge to “bottle lager” for 5+ days before enjoying, as this will encourage the precipitation of most particulate matter, providing you a clear and delicious lager beer.

| PICTORIAL EVIDENCE |

Dortmunder at 20 Days

Dortmunder Export (1.058 OG) at 20 days old

German Pils (1.049 OG) at 24 days old

German Pils (1.049 OG) at 24 days old

To the skeptics out there or those who feel anxious questioning convention, I understand completely, believe me. I know it’s not easy trusting some dude you’ve never met, but I mean it when I say the many lager beers I’ve made using this method have tasted exactly how they were brewed to taste, no different than those I made in the past using the traditional drawn-out method. If you’ve been holding off from making lager beer because of the time commitment, consider giving this method a shot, I have a feeling you’ll be brewing many more lagers in the future if you do.

Cheers!

I have seen a few presentations to AHB conferences that support this method from german homebrewers, and its not that different to my current faux lager brewing with 1272 at 15.5C for 4 days and then a massive D rest at 20C for 5 days then crash and carb...   that produces crystal clear beers that have most of the lager thing going including head retention but not the "Crisp" thing a traditional yeast gives, too make it truely tasteless you could swap out some malt for adjunct...  you would need to adjust the IBU down a bit.

I intend to clariferm this batch to make it almost GF as well

Great post Pete, thanks for the info.

Will give it a try and see how it compares. Have been doing a low temp 3 week ferment and then 3-4 week lagering but like you getting frustrated with the time it takes.

Keep running low on stocks and often kegging after only 2 weeks of lagering.

Any recommendations for a liquid lager yeast?

About to switch to a Wyeast lager yeast - have been using dry yeast (34/70) and mangrove jacks bohemian but find after 2-3 generations I keep getting slight fruity off flavours. I have been getting good consistent results out of the liquid yeasts I have re-used for my ales (mainly 1272)  so will try  a liquid one for my lagers for a while.

I tried a few Wyeasts about 12 months ago boh pils and the munich one, I liked the munich one the most but it was Private Collection, limited release  so not sure they still sell it....    https://www.wyeastlab.com/PC2012-2qtr.cfm

Don't have this yeast anymore, it had a nutty characteristic, no fruit.  I was actually trying to make a helles but this yeast was a bit too nutty for that ...  I am swicthing to noble hops with little to no fruitiness to see if I can get that clean commercial taste....  they say pac gem throws blackcurrents but I personally think it just makes a good "tradies" beer suitable for roof parties, brother in laws who dont do craft etc  etc

I have grown up current yeast into a 10L starter so you are welcome to have a decent whack of that , can save when I pitch tomorrow and just grow it up from there.  This yeast threw a ton of sulphur as it grew up to 10L at 20C  but tasted great in a lager that Ryan made and sent me beer mail so I grew it up from that bottle. 

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp802-czech-budejovice-lager-yeast

Just brewed an all-grain dunkelweizen yesterday. I am a real fan of Bavarian wheat beers.

It was a comedy of errors really. I forgot to add the oat hulls until hallways through the mash, then pushed the mash temperature up too high. The boil went OK, but as we were transferring the hot wort into a water bath, we inadvertedly spilt half.

Oh well, what remains (OG 1.060) is happily fermenting away. I assembled my oxygenation kit this morning so I'll probably brew a high gravity ale later this week. Weizenbock probably. I want to finish on this beer style then move on to lagers. It's getting cold down here.

Anyone else wet hopping with this years crop, recent blog post

HopMadness PA

23L    OG: 1.057                         IBU: Dunno

4.40 kg Pale Malt (Gladfields)

600 g Munich Malt (Gladfields)

300 g Dark Crystal Malt (Gladfields)

150 g Sour Grapes Malt (Gladfields)

Rest @ 67C for 90′, double batch sparge with 72C

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 60′

10g Nelson Sauvin @ 15′

6 handfuls of wet hops @ 15′

Rest of the wet hops @ 0′