Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Um...since this was my first 'real' day off in a few weeks I had a sleep in and started at 10am.

I've only just finished cleaning up now (8pm) but I did manage to cook a lasagne at the same time :)

There were a few rapid trips between the brewhouse (garage) and the kitchen though...

dh
Welcome back Ed.
yeh, welcome back.
you didn't spot Brendon on your travels did you?
no, not yet - has he gone AWOL?
thanks kieran. hope you found that calcium carbonate i left by your door in a hurry back in december. might give you a call about milling services and popping round for a beer sometime. maybe even thursday night drinks might be the go?
Stu,

I bought a few packets of T-58 and also S-33 from Morebeer. Just waiting for the day so I'm also keen to know your thoughts on how this turns out.
You say you use two packets for a double batch, is one packet enough for a 23L batch? I know some people recommend two packets for a "standard batch". Also do you use a starter first or just rehydrate?

It's a shame these yeasts (and a few others in the range) aren't available locally. My LHBS wants to stock them but he can't get them off the distributor!
Some people talk about pitching two packets for a lager at colder temperatures - but one is supposedly ok for a warmer pitch before you cool the wort.

Do many people make starters for dried yeast ? The only person I've heard mention that is Fairlane.

I've rehydrated when I've used dried but I know that there's also a fair few sprinklers out there too. Been reading recently about not needing to aretae wort if you're spinkling - but it's all way beyond me ...
I always rehydrate. I've heard the difference is 50% viable cells not rehydrated, and up to 99% viable cells properly rehydrated as per manufacturer/strain instructions.
One 11gm package of yeast (standard pack of the Fermentis range) is enough for an ale up to 1.060. I've fermented ales up to 1.066 with no issues, full attenuation, nothing out of order. You don't need to aerate or make a starter as there is enough viable cells to ferment your beer. Not a lot of growth if any is needed.
For lagers the recommendation is 2 packets - same deal, no aeration or starter necessary.
It is hard to get good dried yeast info, most American sources - podcasts, websites etc - focus on liquid yeast as they are cheap and readily available. Over here it's a different story eh.
Jamil does mention them every so often when he's talking about a style that in his opinion there is an acceptable dried yeast for.
The main reason I prepare a starter is for a rapid onset of fermentation i.e. I want the shortest lag time possible whilst waiting for the yeast to multiply in the wort. This is to reduce the risk of spoilage (or just undesirable flavours / aromas) by any other wild yeasts or bacteria. It also means I never have to use 2 packets and I can therefore save a few bucks.

As for aeration, whilst I don't actively do it, I certainly acheive it from my heat exchanger into the fermenter and it is good for increasing yeast cell numbers and enhancing the production of fatty acids and sterols (which also encourage yeast growth)

But I guess it's one of those things, if what you are doing is working for you - why change?

dh
T-58 at 72hrs... (from the Belgian Ale published earlier in this thread).
Dropped from 1.050 to 1.013.
Lollyish malt, orange and a little clove. A very faint whiff of egg, which I have no doubt will be gone soon. Similar in the mouth. Acetyldehyde on the palate, which will be gone in a few days also.
Very promising. It's receiving the pass mark at ths stage.
It'll be ready for the keg by the weekend, then a week or so of warm conditioning before I put it in the fridge.

K-97 is 12-24hrs behind. I'm thinking it is going to be a fair bit mellower.

As for pitching... I've read a lot about different techniques, and never actually come across this, but have been meaning to share it for a long time: I pour the wort vigorously from the kettle into the fermenter, which builds up a big airy foam on top. Then I sprinkle the yeast on top and put the lid on. By the time the foam has settled, the yeast appears to have rehydrated somewhat - it's looking like a thick cream on top of the wort. Then I vigourously swirl the fermenter to pick up any yeast that ended up stuck to the sides. Always seems to kick off nicely.

Double batch is split between two fermenters (about 17-25L depending on OG). One packet in each - usually a different yeast in each ferementer (though sometimes it is the same yeast in each and different dry hops in each - or one dry hopped and one dry hop free... or something along those lines). I pitch an amount approximate to the recommendation on the yeast calculator at www.mrmalty.com.

Slainte mhath
Stu
Thanks for the advice. One packet per brew it'll be then. I may try the T-58 in a tripel with an OG around 1.080 so will use two.
Good choice. It's coming across like a very good Dubbel/Tripel yeast. Quite a lot of clove poking through now, as everything else tidies itself up and mellows.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service