Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of curiosity, where did you get the T-58 yeast? Can you get it from the home brew shop in the Hutt?I hadn't heard of it before, what effect does it have on the beer or styles it suits. Cheers!
I purchased it through morebeer. I use 'fresh' dry yeast for each ferment and I don't trust the warm fridge - and old stock - out at the Hutt (plus it is a mission to get out there). I purchase 10-20 packets in advance and use two packets for almost every brew day (double batch).

I have no idea what it does. Like all the other fermentis/dcl dry yeasts, the literature is hopeless and the homebrewers reporting on them do not appear all that trustworthy. I'll let you know what it is like in comparison to K-97, which is going head to head against it in the current Belgian Ale. All I know so far, is that it smells fruitier out of the packet and starts a lot quicker.
I know it's a long time ago Stu, but any memories on how this experiment turned out? I'm looking at using s-58, and it's garnered mixed reviews to say the least.
Thursday it wax my Sommerset Summer Ale

Sommerset 5%abv (ish)
38litres
Grist
5kg pils malt
5kg golden promise pale

Hops (each kettle)
56g Goldings 60 min
40g Goldings 10 min
70g Styrians 1 min

It was the first ferment in stainless see

http://themothersmilk.blogspot.com/2008/01/back-to-brew-house.html

Today its a batch of my succesful IPA from the Nationals, Chilka IPA.
Today I bottled my first ever all-grain brew - a pale ale with Riwaka hops.

I'm quite pleased y'all talked me into going all grain. The brew seems to be coming together so far.

For a 19l batch:
4kg Maris Otter
230g Medium Crystal
230g CaraPils
230g Munich

Hops:
13g NZ Green Bullet 60min
14g Riwaka 30 min
30g Riwaka 15 min
14g Riwaka dry hopped

Yeast was Safale US-05

I'm not sure about my BG, at 45degC it measured 1.040 which I think temperature adjusts to 1.048. However I let the sample cool to 22degC when it measured 1.050. So which measurement to I use to calculate my efficiency? Naturally I'd rather choose 1.050 ;)

So on Waitangi I want to do another brew with the same grain bill, but I have some Nelson Sauv which I want to make the most of without overdoing it. Any suggestions?
Brewied - An ale, sitting in the garage at 22C.
3.7KG Marrris Otter and 300gm medium crystal
Super Alpha to bitter and lashings of Styrians at 15 minutes.

Been underletting the mash last couple of weeks and getting a much smoother result.
No doughballs, fewer hotspots, closer to strike temp quicker

That was the last of the kilo of Styrians I got from NZ Hops last year - shame.
Next up I'm going to give Pacific Hallertau a go as a late hop

cheers, jt
Re: gravity - Go with the 22c gravity.
Re: sauvin - How about brewing the same beer with Sauvin instead of Riwaka? Then you'll get a good insight into what the difference between those hops is. I find that the Sauvin aroma really tends to list the malt aroma with it, especially the caramels.

Cheers
Stu
How about brewing the same beer with Sauvin instead of Riwaka?

Thats what I thought, my only reason for caution was my talk with Dennis from Dunedin Malthouse. He thought that he had just ruined a batch by using Nelson Sauv like any other hop and in hindsight would have late-hopped with less than half of what he put in.

I'll try doing a straight substitution - only one way to find out...
I haven't used Sauvin for a few years, I overdid it and don't care for it in massive doses anymore

My suggestion is to try some beers with Sauvin in them and understand how much is used and at what stages.

If it's someones own beer and they want to share the recipe then you can work it out really well and you can judge how much you want to use.
my summer ale back in december was sauvin all the way on a maris otter/pils base. 15g at 60mins, 15g at 15 mins, 30g at knockout. aromatic without being overpowering. i like it. but i think you could add more safely, as long as you like the sauvin aroma.
Today is a bohemian pilsener, 48L

11.5kg Pilsener Malt
Triple Decoction Mash
Riwaka Hops - 146g Bittering, 72g Flavour, 86 Aroma
Saflager S-23

Still quite warm in the bay so will still have to resort to the "garden hose" cooling method for fermentation temp control...
That's a big day alright - what time did you start ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service