Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Otherwise just do a SMASH

Just brewed and ordinary bitter (23L), hoping for something tasty and light for the coming Summer.
I'll call it BreadBinder ;-)
4.01 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.27 kg Pale Crystal Malt
0.25 kg Medium Crystal
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

Used Pacifica 41g to hop to 25IBUs.
5.00 g Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min
5.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
15.00 g Centennial [9.70 %] - 0.0 min
15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - 0.0 min

I hit my target of 1040 which was nice, as I expected it to actually be a wee bit lower due to efficiency.

APA on Friday...

OG - 1.054

5.3%abv

49 IBUs

6.5kg Pale Malt

0.4kg Crystal 90

0.3kg Carapils

25g Centennial @ 60min

50g Citra @ 10min

30g Citra @ F.O.

15g Citra and 15g Centennial Dry Hop

US-05

Just smacked pack of Wyeast 1469 for brew next weekend.  Gonna brew an old favourite NZ pale ale (B-Sharp) with a different yeast.  Yeast is 6 months old so allowing for a few days swelling followed buy a 1.5L starter.  Should be a nice Xmas  drinker.

It's always good to revisit old favourites Mr C, I did that the other week with a Kid Chocolate.

Are you using a stir plate for that starter?
I borrowed one to wake up the aged Thames Valley II smackpack I bought a few months ago, awesome result. If I'd have had one before I'd have been a bit more adventurouse with liquids

Cheers, jt

No fancy stir plate here I'm afraid.  Just a 2L plastic bottle and a shake every time I walk past it.  I find putting it half way between the couch and my beer fridge works well :)

I'll let you know how it goes.  I've never used 1469 before but I've always enjoyed it in other beers.

Let me know how it goes. I had a go with Ginger Beer Plant last year and it didn't turn out so well. Going to try and wake up my plant again soon and give it another go for the summer.

Just chilling the wort for an attempted clone of Sierra Nevada Tumbler.

Mr Tumble - Anglo-American Brown Ale

4kg Pale Malt

500g Crystal 60

400g Chocolate malt

250g Beechwood smoked malt

200g Brown malt

Mashed at 67 degrees

30g Northern Brewer @ 60

20g EKG, 15g Northern Brewer @ 10

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Aiming for 1.056 & 36 IBUs

Nice steady brewday.

Just ordered the ingredients for an all-Sauvin Saison to brew next weekend. I'm making 40 litres. I'm going to bottle 20L to drink in January and February, and dose the other 20L with brett to drink whenever its ready. 

Grain

Bohemian Pilsner    46.3%

Maris Otter             25.7% (I know Maris isn't to style but I have heaps and don't give a damn about style guidelines)

Light Wheat Malt     25.7%

Caraaroma              2.4%

Hops

Nelson Sauvin       20g at 60min

Nelson Sauvin       10g at 20min

Nelson Sauvin       10g at 10min

Nelson Sauvin       10g at 5min

Nelson Sauvin       100g in hop back (loose whole hops)

Nelson Sauvin        30g dry-hopped 7 days

Yeast

WLP 566 Belgian Saison II

Expected OG = 1.050

Target FG = 1.009

IBUs = 25

Mash at 64C

I'm planning to bottle condition for at least a month before drinking any of it so I don't get too much of an argument between the yeast and all that sauvin. It'll be my first saison and I've based the recipe on what I've gleaned from a bit of googling, so any suggestions welcome. 

how did your brew go, would you make any changes?

Cooling off a new world bitter right now. Of course it's at this time I realise I forgot to add the 15 minute hops to the boil, and the 2nd half of the water salts. I think I really need to plan better in my brewdays, because I always seem for forget something!

Never mind, the beer will still be drunk!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service