Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, a swap will be good Jacko.

I did a couple of Weemix approximations last year, be good to try your version.

Interesting as I never tried the commercial product

Hopefully this turns out OK. It was raining like hell after I started the boil. A little rain may have gotten in. I did keep it mostly covered, but hopefully not enough to get DMS issues.

The alcohol may be a little on the low side for an American APA, around 5.2 - 5.5. I think this is just fine though.

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 16.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43.7 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 93.3 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 2 6.7 %
20.00 g Centennial [9.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 19.3 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [9.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 14.8 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [9.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 9.6 IBUs
40.00 g Centennial [9.75 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Dry Hop 100g Centennial 14 Days

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 7 -

My kind of Pale Ale Michael, at that abv you can have a few without feeling wasted. Looks nice and simple, should be tasty as. Haven't used or seen Centennial around for a while.

Cheers mate. I was going to add some dextrine as well, but figured that going VERY simple would be a nice change since I have been brewing odd combos lately. I reckon this will be drinkable, as long as the temps are controlled well.

My temp control unit is made for 120vac, and I cannot be arsed to change it over. So, I am using a timer on the heating pad to turn off and on in†ermittenly. I should really convert to a 240v temp control or buy one.

Just moved this to a keg. (I use  a keg as a secondary.) I added 100g of Centennial as the dry hop. May just end up putting it into the fridge as well. I have found dry hopping in a refrigerated keg works well for me, and the beer just gets a better aroma as I get to the end of it. 

I will not drink any of it for at least 2 weeks though.

Finished 1st 10 brews, some good, some bad, and some plain ugly!!,

still learning the farra kit!!

Attachments:

Congrats David - a significant milestone with a few lessons along the way I bet.  That line-up looks pretty cool too.

the russian imperial stout at 10% should be good in 3 months, tried one last week and its pretty good, like a very strong monks habit at the cock and bull!!,

porters seem the best, ipa's the hardest (still getting that fruity flavour, might be the cold break after kettle??) and pilsiners very tasty, gettiong into dry hopping for that aroma!!

Nice set up alright David, a world ahead of my primative kit. I still make the odd good beer mind you.

I reckon stouts just keep getting better with age and reckon an imperial would likely be still improving after 12 months. As a novice myself I find an IPA tricky also as all those hops as like an extra factor that increases the complexity of everything. What yeast are you using?

hi,

so4 on most, porters ips'a, stout etc but 23 on pilsiner.

the american so5 seems to leave a bit of scum on the top, whereas so4 is very clean.

our problem is the temperature controll on fermentation and conditioning, working on that now!!,

porters are very forgiving and they are great, had an emersons porter 2 days ago and ours compared very well, 1st one we made was a bit watery so a bit of carapils to thicken up worked a treat!!.

they certainly thicken with age and thats the problem, consumed way too early!!

i've finally got round to putting down an imperial stout- in the fermenter for 3 weeks now, it should be around 9%. Maybe it will be better bottled for next winters consumption!

Brewed one last beer to enter at NHC today. Based on a familiar favourite but hopbursting with NZ Hops rather than US cascade.

Epic Fail Ale

O.G 1052

4.4 kg Golden Promise

.55kg Caramalt

.36kg TF Pale Crystal

0.2kg Carapils

Mashed at 68

10g Southern Cross, 10g Sauvin at 15mins

25g of Motueka, 25g of equal proportions of Sauvin and Southern Cross at 10 and 0 mins.

38 IBU's. US-05

Planning to do a couple of big dry hops. Will be interested to see how the hop combo goes with that rich malt base.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service