Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers James, so that is pretty much centennial with a magnum bittering addition... Interesting, no flavour hops either??? Pliny was similair, had hops at 90, 45 and 30, but nothing under that...

Im taking this approach on my red IPA, 90, 45, 30, and a bucket load at flame out :o) I think it will let the big malt flavours come out alot more?

Edit : Actually relooking at it, if you were steeping for 15 mins youd extract a fair whack of flavour from the 0 min addition!
I spent a bit of time reading about ruination last night, and this morning at work, and Jo is right with Columbus as it's a Magnum substitute!!!

There are a couple of recipes out there with flavour hops (2 oz @ 30) with no steep, so catch 22. The one above has had some good feedback.
Is that recipe for 20 litres James? And are those hop additions only 28gms of Columbus, 16g of Centennial at 0 and 21g dry???

Doesnt seem like enough hops??
I read that as the IBU. ie 28 IBU @ '...' Total 65 IBU? That would sound about right?
But you cant get IBU from a dry hop addition??
I'd have to say 19 litres looking at the quantity of grain and I would hazard a guess the hops schedule / AUU for dry hop are based on a 60min boil time?

As for the IBUs JP says...

AAU = Weight (oz) x % Alpha Acids (whole number)

IBU = AAU x U x 75 / Vrecipe

AAU (28) X U (.231 for 60 min) x 75 / volume (5 gallons) = 97 IBU
AAU (15.7) X Utilisation (0.114 for 15 min) X 75 / 5 = 26.8 IBU
No IBU for dry hop.

So I'm saying approx.
56gm Mag @ 60
40gm Cent @ 0
56gm Cent Dry
I just had a bottle of Ruination.

There is definately no flameout addition in this beer. Maybe a whirlpool addition... but I cant pickup on a flameout addition.

Plenty of Dry Hops though.
drinking on the job again Jo?
It'll be the ruination of you
*getting these jokes out before kids are old enough to hassle me*
The 0 addition is actually a 15 min steep not boil, so in essence you shouldn't get the major aroma, but there should be a little flavour with a bitch load of bitterness no?
Yesterday: 8 Wired Brewing's 'HopWired IPA'.

1500 L
90+% Gladfield pale malt
22.5 kgs of Pacific Jade, 'Mystery hop X', Motueka and my favorite of all hops: Nelson Sauvin. 20 of those kgs added with less than 10 mins left of the boil (or in the hopback, or the fermentor)
Wyeast 1272
Fermentation should hopefully go to around 1.012 or lower.

What I am aiming for here is a true west coast style IPA with unique NZ ingredients, as far as I know the first of its kind to be put in a bottle??

The brew went really good but I had a few stress related dramas in the brewery, I cannot help tweeking the recipe on the go and that can cause some stress. Brian ordered me to calm down and take a nap on a couple of sacks of malt before mashing in 777kgs for an MPA, HopWired's older cousin:)
Giddy up! as Kramer would say. Look forward to it Soren.
Whats with this mystery hop x?? Is it smoothcone and you just dont want to fess up? ;oP bahahaha

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service