Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone ever used the 25kg bag in box extract ?

I was keen to use it a year or two back but thought it'd be a pain to measure out and store cool in summer.

cheers, jt

Views: 886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usde to buy extract in 25 litre pails back in the dark ages - much more cost effective. I extracted it out of the can by fully submersing a large ladle in it and basically based my brew size around the ladle measure. Another way would be to get a honey container with honey tap and keep your extract in that. Never had any problem with storage although after a few months a small amount of mould could develop on the top. No worries since it was all boiled anyway.
Mike at brewers coop has bulk extract in a big fermenter style bucket with a heavy duty tap on it, seemed to work fine the one time I saw hime pour from it.

Off topic but it would be awesome to see a bulk buy of DME, stuff's so expensive here.
Off topic but it would be awesome to see a bulk buy of DME, stuff's so expensive here.

How come there's only imported Muntons @ $20 a kg .. do maltexo not produce it - no mention on their website that I could see
Only ever seen the Brewcraft (Muntons) DME at Brewer's Coop, should probably ask Mike about it, I didn't know he had bulk LME until he told me haha.
Yeah Maltexo do a light malt extract. I work at a bakery and we get 28kg buckets of the stuff, i'll ask around about the price.
Ive seen 28kg bulk extract Black Fern brand I think at the Great Expectations website $198ish ?

Where have you seen it jt?

http://www.greatexpectations.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=10726&ID=29
Only the same Chris.
years (and years) ago they used to have a drum of the stuff and fill containers for you
okay checked it out and its $90 inc gst for 28kg of light malt.
worked it out and the same amount if i bought it in can from the brew shop would cost around 250$

I gonna try using it for an extract ipa with a kg or so of crystal, see how it comes out

I wonder what the difference would be between maltexo light malt and a can of muntons light, anyone?
you can get the specs from muntons and maltexo.

Dunno about a kg or so of crystal, what size batch ?
I just ended up using 400g of crystal, and 3.6 kg of LME for a 20lt batch. its in secondary now. i checked out the website, they have two types of LME. One is labeled FOOD GRADE and the other BREWING GRADE. but in the spec sheet there is minimal to no difference.

both products on the spec sheet say "The extraction process inactivates the diastatic power" I'm not sure how this will effect the beer.
"The extraction process inactivates the diastatic power"

This means that the enzymes that are present in malted barley, the ones that convert starch to sugar specifically, are not active. No worries for your beer mate.

I'd say the brewing grade LME is slightly higher grade - probably slightly fresher and from better grade barley, may also be treated more carefully to avoid oxidation etc.
Liberty have DME for $10 per kg. It's half the price of the brewcraft/muntons stuff and has been working well for me.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service