Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi there,

Firstly apologies as there may have been a discussion like this from one of you somewhere I have just struggled to find it. So a point to the right discussion will still be greatly appreciated.

Right, well I've only recently started brewing (1 brew from extract in bottles).
I'd like to make the best beer in Kelburn (as opposed to making cheap beer) and am eager to get into AG.
I'm working through the John Palmer book with a couple of friends, and we're about to lay down a Porter (specialty grains but still with an extract).

I've found lots of information on the web and read a couple of brew books but would like some information more specific to brewing in Wellington. i.e conditions, water, getting gear etc. and also any advice for someone starting out.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There're a lot of folk on here from Welly that will be able to give you a hand.

Try hitting up your water company for a water report.
Hey Rich
If you want to make the best beer you can, then going all-grain is certainly the way to go. I used to kid myself that I was making really good beer with extract but it was probably ok at best.
You've got Rob Owen - award winning brewer - just down the road in Kelburn (or up the road, if you are down that hole by the gardens) and plenty of other good brewers not too far away.
John Palmer is a really good place to start. Also worth checking out the podcasts at www.thebrewingnetwork.com.
For brewhouse "hardware" you have two basic choices - build it or buy it from overseas. You are most welcome to come and see my "morebeer" set-up at some stage (two coolers and a 14gal stainless kettle).
I'm guessing you already have a fermenter, if you have brewed an extract batch.
As for ingredients, you've come along at the perfect time. Email me on stu at soba.org.nz - I can help you out [More to come on this in the next few days... hopefully].
Cheers
Stu
Cheers guys,

Maybe it wont be so easy to make the best beer in Kelburn after all.
I hadn't realised there were so many brewers in Wellington. With the lack of shops and micro-breweries I thought it was a craft beer free city (aside from the Regional and Malthouse). Very nice to see I was well wrong.

Will be in touch Stu.

Thanks again

Rich
I will look into a water report for sure.

Cheers denimglen,

I have been using the artesian water from Petone, which (from my limited knowledge) is hard water.

I was surprised to see that it is common to adjust the qualities of the water, as had always thought that this would be an important factor of terroir in a brew. Although I guess, terroir is difficult with beer when there are more ingredients than a wine and I guess you'd have to be growing them all yourself.

Am I well wrong, and does the water affect a brew more than I think, will I be forever limited to making the same style if I don't adjust it?

Sorry, not wanting to be offensive (just very ignorant) but I'm sure there are some strong opinions out there on terroir and I'm very keen to hear them.
Hi Rich

I think I've ended up with a good cheap setup, sourced from Wellington trademe listings.

My mash tun is a 60 litre chillybin with a built in drain hole - $40. Modified with a stainless mesh hose and a laundry inlet shutoff tap (probably another $40).

My boil vessel is a 50 litre keg - $50. I chopped the top of with an angle grinder and got a local mower mechanic to weld the handles back on and drill a hole for the tap. The keg seller also had some old kegerator coils which I convinced him to part with. I use these for wort chilling.

cheers
Hi Rich,

So you want to challenge my reign as best beers in Kelburn. If you're interested - and don't work - I'm doing a brew on the front porch tomorrow (17th Jul) morning, it'll be a robust porter. Contact me via email - robo at soba.org.nz.
As for water don't worry about it - it is minor compared to all the other things to get right first. And even when you do our water is fantastic for brewing, it's very low in salts so is like a blank canvas.

Cheers,
Rob.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service