Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok - so this might seem a little weird and PC by my usual standards but in team meetings at work I encourage people to give a quick "barometer" check of their week to see how they are going. It helps people crystallize their thoughts into the essential things that are going on. So I thought I would try it here on the forum.
There are only 3 rules:
1. You must provide an answer when asked as you would in a team meeting at work - if you are lucky enough ;-) (volunteer out of turn - it's fine on a forum);
2. You may have as many highs for the week as you can reasonably think of but at least one is compulsory; and
3. You may have a maximum of only 1 low for the week.

So what are my items this week? Glad you asked....

Highs:
1. California Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112) - wow, just loving it and the fact that beers take so little time to condition up!
2. Quick disconnects for my gas on my corny kegging system - how did I live before hand. If people want to get you a cheap but valuable present for birthday/father's day/any other reason then get them to buy you a QD's for less than $35.
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=964

Low:
1. Promising 15L of beer to a friend on Friday 30th May and knowing that you don't have a hope in hell as it's that good it won't last that long! ;-)

B

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was the verdict with the stuck ferment Barry? did it get going in the end?, Im lucky to have not had that misfortune.
It turned out to be finished. Within 18 hours. Yikes.
I blinked and missed it.
I've subsequently discovered that fermenter's isn't airtight so the airlock isn't bubbling like I'm used to.

Tasting good though, it's on tap at the moment.
Highs for the week: Got the 1968 out, Made a couple of what should be good english bitters for the comp.

Low for the week: I forgot I had my aerator on and peeled some spuds, half an hour later I came upon a metre high foam mountain on the carpet and over the drawers and the loss of over 2 litres of precious wort. Doh
Highs: Stocks are getting up thanks to 1968, started cleaning bottles that still have emmersons dregs from 2 years ago!

Lows: just finished bottling a lager which has been sitting for about 2 months, smells like a very old wardrobe and tastes like drinking the runnings off a wet dog, well I imagine it that way !
Gutted! the musty smell overpowers the styrian saaz mix which is redundant, im wondering if its oxidation or a bacterial infection, its the first time in over a hundy brews ive had this result, the only difference from the norm is it was lagered in a plastic barrel which used to hold chlorine and with a screwtop lid half threaded opposed to a 30L plastic fermentor with airlock.
If it was an ale I wouldnt care too much and would probably tip it!
Rather than use my time intensive sanitised bottles I scraped up a heap of dirty old riggers gave em a rinse and filled em up.
Oxidation or infection?
Highs- just tasted my lager I bottled about a week and half ago. Although it needs more lagering, it tastes and smells great

Low- I went to second ferment my Pale ale and the tap/valve became unblockably blocked, F*!$k I said. I had to carefully decant it into another second fermenter and bottle it immediately. I empathise Dan, this PA was/is a real beauty. Smells and tastes fantastic! I hope it is not oxidised. Time will tell?
Highs:
1. My great mate Greig was in town so off to the malthouse we go…
2. After a year of avoiding Three Boys IPA (Bad previous experience), Greig (see above) twisted my arm and convinced me that I should try it again…..GOLD! Beautiful resinous fruity hop character and a little bit of diacetyl on the nose and in the flavour, nicely bitter finish great stuff.

Lows:
1. Malthouse ran out on Saturday so popped off down to regional wines for a flagon…..this beer was completely different it smelled and tasted so phenolic that i couldn't drink it I had to chuck it out.
2. Need more IPA! Ok off down to regional wines again this time the bottled version (cross my fingers) FAIL! A papery oxidised mess….another drain pour dammit!

That’s 3 bad experiences to 1 good one….time to give up?
It was tasting fantastic at Regionals, though it's hardly an IPA.
I agree it's not an IPA but that's what they're calling it so i'll call it that too
what is it then? not that i've drunk it in a while, i wasn't that impressed last time unlike the golden ale which had me hooked for a bit (until i created my own homebrewed version that is). i'm looking for a tasty kiwi 500ml bottle to accompany the mini-rigger of emerson's weizenbock i plan on buying on friday evening, so is there a good reason to give it another crack?
To be honest it's a little tricky, my immediate thought is American pale ale but the diacetyl puts the kybosh on that so who knows....
At the moment i can't think of a reason to give it another crack I’ve spent a lot of money on quenching the thirst of my drain lately but i may have just been unlucky!
Highs:
* Hosted a great dinner party on Saturday night. An American Mild and Summer-style Best Bitter on handpump. American Porter in riggers. A few litres each of a golden Best Bitter and a Belgian Blond courtesy of Brendon. 20-odd people and about 10 curries!!!
* Hallertau Pinot Porter -- MAGIC!

Lows:
* The guests finishing one of the best beers I've brewed in a while ('American Mild') and there is probably only a pint left, if that, of the other ('American Porter'). Denimglen - that pint, if I can fill a 500ml bottle, has your name on it. I'm sure you will like it.
If it's that American Porter it would be hard not to like it

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service